This year the Best in Show Garden was won by Andy Sturgeon for his dramatic creation sponsored by the Daily Telegraph and built by Crocus Ltd. The People’s Choice garden, God’s Own County – A Garden for Yorkshire, was designed by Matthew Wilson. Despite the fact that it was awarded a Silver medal by the judges, it was a clear favourite of the public.
The Chelsea Flower Show Facts
- The RHS Chelsea Flower Show started in 1913 and has been held every year in the Royal Hospital Chelsea grounds, apart from two breaks during the World Wars.
- It is the most famous flower show in the world.
- The Great Pavilion, replaced in 2000, which houses the floral displays, is almost 3 acres in area.
- McBean’s Orchids, Blackmore & Langdon and Kelways Plants showed at the first Chelsea Flower Show and are still exhibiting today.
- This year there were 17 show gardens on Main Avenue. Six received a Gold medal, eight Silver-Gilt and three Silver.
- There were six Artisan gardens which are smaller and more representative of the scale of domestic back gardens.
- The seven Fresh gardens offer a contemporary, cutting edge insight into current garden design trends.
- In the Great Pavilion there are over 100 displays by growers, plant breeders and societies.
Many of the gardens will be transported to new homes after the show. Anne-Marie Powell’s garden, a Haven for Health, Happiness and Horticulture, will be rebuilt in Brixton in south London. The beautiful garden designed by Chris Beardshaw will be transported to a rooftop at Great Ormond Street Hospital.
The Benefits of Gardening
Gardening is not only great exercise but has therapeutic benefits. A few hours spent in the garden, when you think you are going to work out solutions to those niggling problems, actually passes in a flash and you realise you have been focussing on the plants and your worries have slipped to the back of your mind and you deserve a well-earned rest in the deck chair.
Gardening with children is a topic I will return to in a later blog post but it was gardening with my dad and grandad that led to my passion for plants. When my children were young we spent as much time in the garden as possible and if the weather permitted their parties included a few outdoor party games.
Missing the Chelsea Flower Show already?
In 2017 the Chelsea Flower show will be held from 23rd to 27th May but if you can’t wait that long then there is the RHS Hampton Court Palace Flower Show (5-10 July) and the RHS Flower Show Tatton Park (20-24 July) to fire up the imagination for our love of gardens.